Who We Are
The YWCA World Service Council is comprised of women with a global vision who care about our changing world and champion the work of the YWCA USA and World YWCA in their commitment to dignity, freedom, justice and peace. Being a member is a way for YWCA volunteers and staff from local associations to continue and expand their service to the broader movement and for women new to the YWCA to join, learn and help serve women around the world reach their full potential.
Because the need is great the WSC is expected to raise $100,000 to $150,000 annually for the World YWCA. Since every dollar counts, there is no set yearly minimum giving level. As an inclusive organization we welcome women of all ages, retirees and young women, all who care about the welfare of women and girls around the globe and want to ensure their human rights
All members are encouraged to reach out to others who are interested in making a difference globally.
World Service Council Priorities
- To raise significant funds and provide volunteer resources for the World YWCA, International Building Fund and the YWCA USA as a council to the YWCA USA Global Relations Committee.
- To inform members of the social, political and economic forces affecting women and their opportunities for growth and development.
- To communicate and follow international issues through the World YWCA and World Service Council website, reports and newsletters from the World YWCA, YWCA USA, Global Relations Committee, International Building Fund, and YWCA USA publications.
- To provide hospitality to visiting World YWCA leaders and dignitaries.
- To provide in-person meeting opportunities, including an annual luncheon business meeting and seminar in the fall at interesting locations with distinguished speakers.
- To co-sponsor with YWCA USA a reception for World YWCA delegates attending the UN’s Commission on the Status of Women hearings in late winter.
- To participate in YWCA USA meetings, seminars and leadership events.
- To attend relevant national and international conferences and workshops.